Because of Apple’s newly updated firmware release, users of locked iPhone 4S devices are scrambing to find out how to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1. The benefit is rewarding in that you will not be tied down anymore to one network carrier. One is able to have the freedom to choose the cheaper, convenient or more efficient service provider of their choice, rather than that chosen for them by Apple. Though unlocking the iPhone 4S 5.1 may sound geeky and nerdy, it is not a rocket science. iPhone 4S Unlocking can be divided into two broad categories namely; Hardware based and Software based methods to modify iPhone 4S firmware safely.
How to Unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 Using UltraSn0w
One can unlock an iPhone 4S 5.1 using the UltraSn0w program, a utility developed by the iPhone Dev Team to unlock the iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.and requires an uncomplicated process of installation. However, the utility is limited to only the following basebands:
One will need to perform a jailbreak which can be at this point can achieved at a tethered level meaning, every time the iPhone user switches it off, they have to connect it back to the computer and boot it back to the jail broken state.
- Jailbreak the device using Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze utilities.
- After the jailbreak has been performed, launch the newly installed application called ‘Cydia’ present on your phone’s Springboard.
- Add the following address to the pop up alert; http//repo666.ultrasn0w.com and then select add source.
- After Cydia has added and refreshed the packages, tap on its default Repo and install the Ultrasn0w utility.
- Alternatively, you can unlock iPhone 4 on 5.1 firmware using ultrasn0w.
How to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 Using Gevey SIM
- 1. Download and install the jailbreak utility called Redsn0w and install it on your PC.
2. Connect your unlocked iPhone 4S to your computer via USB and open the Redsn0w utility
3. Click on ‘Extras’ and select ‘Custom IPSW’ button to allow you create a pre jail broken custom firmware. This will start creating your custom iOS 5.1 ispw firmware.
- 4. Next, select the ‘Pwned DFU’ option on the screen.
- 5. In the following step make sure the iPhone is turned off and at the same time plugged in to the computer. Now enter the ‘DFU’ mode.
- 6. Once in DFU mode, open iTunes and restore the device to the custom iOS 5.1 ipsw that was created earlier. The name of the file begins with NO_BB.
- 7. That is how to unlock an iPhone 4S with 5.1 firmware using the Gevey SIM.
How to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 for free without software or jailbreaking
Software unlocking methods do not rely on the SIM card slot unlike the hardware unlock and SIM unlock. Apple has restricted the software not to accept connections by other carriers. You only have to disable the restriction to enjoy the use of any network service provider of your choice. Here is a choice of neither of the above two. It is
- Insert the original network provider AT&T SIM card
- Dial 611 the AT&T customer service number and then drop the call
- Turn on your iPhone 4S 5.1 to Airplane Mode
- Take out the AT&T SIM card
- Insert a new carrier’s SIM card
- Make sure WiFi is off and tap on ‘Forget this Network’ to ensure no automatic reconnection.
- Switch off Airplane Mode let the iPhone search for a network.
- The Apple splash screen appearing follows this. The message ‘Activation Required’ is shown to you.
- EDGE network will activate automatically
- After this, wait for about 20-30 seconds then switch off the iPhone.
- Turn on the iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will come on.
- When you get just one signal bar, tap on ‘Use Cellular Connection’ and eject the SIM card.
- The Same ‘Activation Required’ message will appear for the second time.
- Insert the SIM card and the iPhone will be unlocked.
How to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 Safely and Easily
Having to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 is not possible without jail breaking the iPhone first. By jailbreaking the initializing software instructions, restricting and locking the device are removed. Most of the available software are so complicated and have complex instructions that should have been incorporated into the software in the first place. It involves some easy to follow steps that should be followed very strictly. Failure to do so may render your iPhone 4 Unlocked permanently unusable. The use of simple computer software to achieve this is of utmost importance. Reducing the complexities that are passed on to the end user is vital. This software offers all of the features that would be pleasing to an end user. Notwithstanding the baseline or the firmware your iPhone is using, the software will simply guide you through the process to unlock iPhone 4S 5.1 within a few minutes.